Friday 6 May 2011

The JagsCast Interview: Jaggie McNamara

The two main things that stuck me on meeting Jackie McNamara pitchside at Firhill this afternoon were adequately summed up by the man himself: “I’m quite an ambitious wee guy.” Certainly, he is shorter than I had expected, despite having seen him on football pitches for the last twenty years. Mainly though, it was his confidence and, yes, ambition that impressed me: he wasn’t a smiley, chatty character and without being arrogant or making me feel like I was wasting his time, the impression that he was trying to give was that of a man who is going places.

At first he seemed to want to give some stock answers, but became emboldened as the chat went on, praising Chris Erskine and talking up some of the emerging young players at the club. He, I think, ended up enjoying the experience of discussing footballing matters with a fan, and took the inane questions on the sartorial requirements on football managers in the spirit they were intended.

Overall, I left very much more impressed than I expected to be by our caretaker manager, and I hope that he has the opportunity to put his plans into practice. His ambition and his vision will surely be good for the club and what he lacks in height, he makes up for in stature.

Yours in jaggery
Manly J. Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment

#poll1 ( display:none;)